Thursday, October 17, 2013

Language is Not A Barrier to Communicate



1. Yemekhane is the best place in dormitory (after ETUT, actually). The place where you can eat delicious cuisines for free (we have to pay a little sometimes, if our choices of menu are exceed). So there was this Abla (A polite way to call and older woman in Turkey) who works in Yemekhane. She is super kind (The others are kind too) but she never forgets to say Afiyet Olsun (literally means 'may there be appetite') every time I eat there. Until one day when I read something on the internet, I found the phrase to reply to afiyet olsun. I kept remembering the phrases, because I had wanted to reply Abla's sentence with it, to see how she respond to it. Then, the dinner time came, I picked the menu and abla said afiyet olsun, unfortunately I forgot the phrase. Ahhh, elinize sağlık why it's so hard to remember you?

2. So I met this old lady, she talked to me in Turkish. I replied it with "Turkce bilmiyorum anne" (I'm not knowing Turkish) but she kept asking and then I replied it again with the same sentence, then she smiled at me in her confused face. She was looking for a bus and she didn't know which number, she kept walking around and around like she was lost. After 20 minutes of walking around, a man came by and helped her. I was so guilty that I couldn't help her.

3. "Abi parmak izi problem var" that's what the word I said every time I go outside or inside the dormitory. There's something wrong with my fingerprint, it doesn't work on the fingerprint detector. May be because of the cold weather that makes my fingerprint sore and it makes everything should be done manually from the computer instead of the fingerprint detector, the worst part is not every security in my dormitory knows the way to do it. Then the abi replied "jkfjlsafujajdkanskmdnaks" as usual I don't even know a word. So I pointed my finger to the computer, indicating that he had to click something on the menu bar. But he kept talking and all I could do was laughing, he laughed too somehow. After several minutes, I came closer to the computer and do it by myself. Then, we laughed. Every time Abi meets me he always said "parmak izi problem" and as usual, all I can do is laughing.

No comments:

Post a Comment