Tuesday, August 13, 2013

Coming Back to Reality


I used to imagine reality was a place that is far away from the earth, hundred, thousand, or even billion light years away. I define reality as the place where probability still exists, where your sleeping pattern and reading list are screwed up, where your expectations are less-likely to be realized. Ever you heard the Parallel Universes theory? or the Schrodinger's Cat one? It's a notion that there are many kinds of 'we' in reality. It's like when you're eating buy-able cuisines in this part of universe, in the other part you're living broke with nothing to eat and in the other part of universe you're drinking a cup of coffee in a beautiful palace. And that's all happened at the same time. I always wonder what the other 'me' will do if the parallel universe really exists. Are they living in a reality which has small difference from what I'm living or they are living in all-of-their-expectations?

The has-something-to-do-with-University-of-Indonesia activity starts tomorrow. I'm both excited and not so ready with it. I'm excited because I feel fortunate enough to be the part of one of university that I dreamed to be and not so ready because I don't want to leave this long last holiday, this more than 4 months holiday when there is nothing bothers the life you have designed and planned. But overall I really want to taste the flavor of university life, breathe the strange odor of it and let my nerves touch every coarse and smooth alien part of it. Although most of seniors said that university life wouldn't be as great as you expected in your high school senior year. Your sleeping and eating pattern will be screwed up, you will meet different characteristics of people, from the hospitable one to the malicious one. from the one who loves to live in group to the solitary-living one. But that's the best part of life, you wouldn't grow if you only play around the comfort zone of you. Reading After Orchard by Margareta Astaman taught me a lot that I should be grateful to live and be born in Indonesia. The country where everyone is friendly, easy to talk with. So different from Singapore whose governments expect so much thing from the students, that they are forced to achieve or they will get punishments, then living in stress and ended up committing a suicide.

So let's change the topic, we need to get out of this university-related thing. It's August 13th, 4 days away from Indonesia's Independence day (maybe I'll post something about it later on the other post) and I'm still stuck with my 5th and 6th book of this month at the same time. The 5th is "The Picture of Dorian Gray". It's a classical book which is written by the famous author Mr. Oscar Wilde. This book hypnotizes me, every words that he wrote is masterpiece, I thought this book would be boring and wouldn't be easy to be 'digested', but no my speculation was refutable and 100%ly wrong. The 6th is my favorite astrophysicist of all time's book. It's "Cosmos" by Carl Sagan, the book is astronomy oriented or scientific oriented but was created for the society, well so far the book is digestable yet doesn't remove the awesomeness.that lies inside it.

Last, I want to quote Huxley's words that motivate me to do better things
"Intellectually we stand on and islet in the midst of an illimitable ocean of iinexplicablity. Our business in every generation is to reclaim a little more land."

No comments:

Post a Comment